Ignoring Drupal updates: that’s a “no”
We have been discussing Drupal updates since forever, but what if we told you that there are people who still refuse to do it and just continue using the old versions of everything?
The Drupal modules are being constantly updated, fixed and improved. That’s because Drupal is evolving and developers are doing their best to make it more usable, easier and more helpful. But more and more people ignore Drupal updates. Is that safe? And why they are doing it? Without further ado, let’s just dive straight into it :)
Why users refuse to install new updates?
There are too many of them It can be a real pain in the neck, if you think of it. There are just too many of them! And of course everything needs to be updated at the same time. It’s so easy to get lost in what you have already updated and what you haven’t. It’s just too much trouble!”
Time It’s actually quite time-consuming to update everything, as you need to read the notes, find out what was fixed, what this thing is for, how it works, etc. — unless you hire a professional to do the job for you.
People just don’t realize the importance of updating. Their logic is quite simple — if the site works now, why do I need to update Drupal at all?
We’ve figured out the reasons why people think updating their Drupal site is a waste of time.
Now, let us tell you why they are all wrong.
What are the risks of ignoring updates?
- Let’s start with the most important one — Security risks. Almost every Drupal update fixes security bugs and flaws. Using only old versions of modules puts your site at risk of being hacked. Drupal is known for being the most safe CMF, but you have to realize that it can be achieved only through constant fixing of problems — through updates!
- Compatibility. A lot of people know about safety risks, so they usually update modules selectively. They choose only security modules, neglect the normal ones and think that’s enough to keep their site safe and functional. But here is the problem: compatibility. If some of the modules are updated and the rest of them aren’t, often they are not able to work together as a whole.
- Modules are being updated for a reason. Developers introduce new functions and possibilities and you are risking missing out on something really cool and helpful which could make your site or application a lot more useful and popular.
- Some people are sure you don’t need to update as it doesn’t affect the way a site/app works. Not even close! Some updates can make sites more stable, not to mention faster.
- Spending extra money. Yes, that’s right. You may think that installing Drupal updates can be rather expensive, but the reality is you can end up spending a lot more money trying to recover your site if it goes down.
Of course, deciding whether to update your Drupal site or not is your choice and we can’t impose upon you to do it. We have tried our best to give you a piece of advice, make sure you understand all the risks and that you are now able to make a deliberate decision. If you need a professional help with updating your Drupal modules, feel free to ask us for a helping hand! :)