Many web-master beginners may wonder what type of site structures are ranked more highly by search engines. The question itself is rather interesting. Search engines do not analyze the structure of a site, but they do look for for the correct and total indexation of your internet resource by search engines. The main part of the pages should be situated higher than the opening tag BODY.
There are two rather successful techniques to improve ranking by search engines based on the structure of a website.
- Put the main part of the page content directly after the tag BODY, followed by the navigation of the site, other optional units, the heading and the ending of the main site page. Using this structure makes your site to be indexed more quickly and completely. This kind of a pattern allows web crawlers to first process the really important content, and then look at the menu and other elements of the resource. Obviously, this type of layout is not too easy to build, especially if you are a beginning website builder. It will prove worth the effort, however, when it provides a complete indexing of your site by search systems.
- When structuring the site, after the BODY tag, place the heading and the company logo. Only then put the main parts of the page. After these parts go others not too important for indexing units.
Naturally, in this type of structure your company’s logo plays a significant role. The logo may be placed within the tag H1 or have a separate link. Both methods are good enough for indexing by search bots. To arrange for the most successful indexation of your site, use tag H1 only once in your web project and only for one page, and don’t forget to include the major key in it.
How to get your Drupal website indexed by search engines
And now let’s give a few tips to webmasters that are going to create more attractive for search engines sites.
- Remember that search engine spiders haven’t yet learned to index Java-scripts when creating the navigation for your project. If you don’t want to stop using Java-scripts in the navigation of your site, then just double it using simple text links. It will allow search bots to freely pass by links that you have on your site pages.
- Try to remove all broken links. If a user follows a broken link, he will open the 404 page (You can learn how to eliminate 404 errors on your site pages from other articles published in our blog). If a web crawler finds a dead link, it may index your resource incorrectly, classifying bad links as errors.
- Close all retain and not informal resource partitions in the robots.txt. file. For example, such folders as admin, includes, user and register don’t include useful or necessary information for search systems, so you needn’t to show them to search engines. If you don’t know how to write robots.txt, you can always ask our specialists for help and they will compile the correct robots.txt for your resource.
- Create a site map. Sitemap.xml is a file that contains the complete list of all the pages of the website. This file gives a list of addresses to the web crawler that it should index first.
- Pay a special attention to the main page of your site. Don’t forget that its address should totally repeat the domain name of your resource. For instance, the address of your site should look not like site.com/index.html, but simply like site.com. If you choose the first variant you’ll have to wait much longer for your site to be indexed.
- Clear all useless information from the pages of your internet-resource. The less unnecessary blocks, scripts and similar stuff you have, the better the search rankings of your web project you will get. If one of the units doesn’t contain anything important, but you still need it, don’t hesitate to place it in the tag NOINDEX, which will allow search engine spiders to pass over it and focus more on the content of your site.
To get a site indexed is a long and important process for any web-master. Take it seriously and prepare all the pages of your internet-portal beforehand. Use our tips to get an improved and fast indexation of your creation by search bots. Good luck and florescence to your project in the global web!