Are you going to build a new up-to-date web project or redesign your existing site? Great! However, there may be a problem attracting customers to your business site and make it stand out on the web. It needs to have an effective web design that lives up to the expectations of the target audience. So, what steps should you take to provide a user-friendly design for your site? To answer that, we compiled some essential web design tips.
9 tips for improving your web design
- Define your key goals. To ensure that the site fully reflects all the objectives of your company, plan ahead. Think over how you want to benefit from it — establish a positive brand name, develop a client’s base, sell a product or service, or provide useful information. In addition to this, walk in your user’s shoes and map out your visitors’ path from the first time they go to your site to the moment when they become your clients. This may sound very simple, but it helps sort out priorities so that you can create an awesome web design around them.
- Create readable content. Whatever they say, content is still king. Content management should be in the checklist of your business strategies because content drives user engagement and, as a result, increases the number of potential customers. Create easy to read and concise texts with effective links to enable users to scan your site quickly and without effort, as there are so many things they want to see. However, compelling content will attract and retain the attention of your audience. It is a good idea to catch users’ eye with video content and other visual elements.
- Provide intuitive navigation. A well-thought-out web design makes navigation for visitors much easier. If users can’t easily find what they are looking for, they will certainly bounce and go to your competitors who have an excellent user experience. So, when improving your website's navigation, it's crucial to ensure that everything is visible on it. If you are running a complex project, arrange its pages and parts in a logical order. Then insure that users are able to switch from the “Homepage” to the ordering services form on a jump.
- Stay mobile-friendly. Optimizing your site for mobile is another web design tip that will result in guaranteed profit. Mobile is everywhere now, and people do almost everything on the go — from browsing web pages and watching the latest news, to chatting on various social networks and doing shopping. For this reason, your website’s design should also be completely operational on mobile devices. Make sure you provide flawless web performance for a greater user experience and engagement. Moreover, you’ll improve search engine rankings because having a responsive web design is an important factor of SEO.
- Add social share buttons. Like mobile optimization, social media integration is a must-have component of the current business online. You may be surprised, but customers are more likely to spend time on your Facebook or Twitter page than surfing your company’s site. Ignoring this fact means losing the good number of clients. By doing some social media integration, you’ll give users the opportunity to share the great content you have. This helps other web visitors find you and direct more traffic to your site. Also, don’t forget to leave social links in your blog posts and comments for more effective SMM.
- Benefit from stock photos. Stock photos have clear advantages. These are images that people can easily use, rather that hire a photographer. A designer can look through a huge database of high-quality photos and find the ones that are best to suit for every specific project. Among the most popular stock photos are those that include travel destinations, animals, people and food. You can download any image you like instantly.
- Use faces to gain trust. In general, people prefer images with human faces. When you see somebody’s face, you automatically empathize with this person, believe that he or she is real, and that they can help you. So use more positive faces on your website, landing page, in the articles and case studies. Your customers will feel that they can find reliable people on your site.
- Make a clear call-to-action. For today, a call-to-action (CTA) is the final but no less important element of effective web design. CTAs should be visible, creative and in attractive colors. Make sure to use actionable words in them (e.g. start, learn, etc.). Indeed, it can be difficult to accurately provide them to guide users through your website. Your task is take enough time to ensure CTAs indicate the next step user should take on a page and, as a result, lead to the right way to generate even more leads.
- Use the 8-second rule. You probably heard about this general of thumb — you have a mere 8 seconds to get your visitors’ attention. 8 seconds is the short length of the human attention span. The truth is that you really have a just few seconds and little opportunity to engage a user who visits your site for the first time, so make those seconds count. Consider the following tips for grabbing attention to your site:
- use brief and eye-catching headlines
- make all buttons large, clear and simple
- use power words
- include interactive content like video, audio, etc.
- use animated popups for content
These are main, but not all of, the effective web design tips. If you’d like to see what other awesome design options we have for you, contact our web designers. We’ll make your website look attractive, stylish, and up-to-date!